Next Island dungeon suggestion

Main Forums Planet Next Island Discussions Miscellaneous Discussion Next Island dungeon suggestion
This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Waus 8 months, 2 weeks ago.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
    • Waus Keymaster
      December 10, 2016 at 5:57 am #846

Hello everyone,

After some time I was finally able to find the time to start this thread in regards to the Next Island dungeon suggestion ;). I will keep working on this and update whenever I can and if I got something new to show you guys. I will also show some fails etc since I am not experienced in 3D design to show kind of the learning process as well. Every so often if I find the time for it I will actually give updates on this via the live stream on http://www.twitch.tv/wauspaus.
      So let’s go…..

How this came to be….
      The suggestion for a dungeon came to life during one of the livestream which I was doing during a 24h event on Next Island. To spice up the stream during the event I decided to talk with people about planetary development and as such this topic seemed to stick most. So during the livestream people talked about how the dungeon should look, what type of dungeon etc. From that I decided to try and make this dungeon using Blender (and other software), the process is rather slow but hopefully in the end I might be able to construct a nice dungeon people would be willing to run.

The initial idea….
      A maze….. in Ancient Greece…. These were the first 2 things that were said during the livestream when I asked people about it and it stuck around. A maze or labyrinth if you like, a Minotaur one to be exact. A “puzzle” if you like for players to run through with a chance of treasure at the end of it. With 2 difficulties, 1 for newbies to run and 1 for veteran players. It would drop “currency” which would be tradable for specific items like blueprints and goods required for those blueprints for players to craft with. I don’t know how much I can show off in regards to the last part of this however the dungeon part we will focus on :).

Progress so far… (10-12-2016)

So progress so far…. yes…. it’s been a bit rough trying to figure out how everything would work initially inside Blender and try to logically create something in it. Initially I thought it would be easiest to start with the walls. These guide you through a dungeon and are usually something you see the most (especially in a maze where dead ends physically make you bump into them :D). So I went to work on these, boy was I mistaken (also noticed I wasn’t easily satisfied).

So this was my first attempt at making a dungeon wall asset. It looks decent from the front but from the side it was totally flat. The shown texture had too much definition which made it really stand out being flat (also disappointing). Next to that the wall segement itself gave a bit of a poor impression (as in wealth). Our Minotaur needs to be rich right? You go into the maze and risk your life to steal the Minotaurs treasure! So this didn’t reflect it that well. In comes wall attempt number 2.

This already looks A LOT better. It seems like our Minotaur is a bit more of the middle class now, the texture looks pretty decent (aside from a repetitive pattern but that’s easily fixed). From the side you could actually see it being really really nice and “rocky” as well. However there was 1 thing I fell for. I overcomplicated it…. To explain, a 3D model works with vertices, little dots which are connected with lines which form your model, the more vertices you got, the more lines, which also means you can put in more details. However, the more vertices you got the longer it takes for a computer to create the model on your screen. This attempt had around 1.2 million vertices (no not joking). Spawning more then 4 walls could potentially blow up your pc if you are working on a rather old one (not sure if it would really blow up but who knows). So I had to simplify it. So here comes the third attempt….

Our Minotaur is now high society πŸ˜€ Darker marble wall to also reflect a bit of evil. A little shine to it for extra class showing of the quality of the stone (and thus his wealth a bit). There are small details in it at the ridges but not as much to make it 2 heavy but also enough to make it not look flat. But Waus….. this does look flat!
      Yes that is correct, however I anticipated this so here comes the illusion a bit :). I put these walls with a floor together to show off a hallway….

This is how those walls look when I put them together in 3D, from your avatar Point of view this is what you would aproximatly see. The floor looks a bit crap still I know, had to do it quickly. However it shows off what the intention is and how it would look :).

I hope you guys are liking what you are seeing, in the future I will update this thread with more info, pictures etc. Hopefully I can finish this project πŸ™‚

Wzzls
      Waus

• This topic was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  Waus.
    • Waus Keymaster
      December 10, 2016 at 6:05 am #850

Progress so far… (04-01-2017)

So here we are, freshly in 2017 and I got an update for you guys. I wanted to initially do an update on the stream, however since I have been swamped with projects I haven’t had the ability to stream the PFEU hunts and give updates. So without further delay let’s get this update on the way :).

As talked about in the last update I had issues with the walls a bit but that got sorted out. What I focused on now was the floor, lighting etc etc. It’s not perfect yet but playable. I will give some explanation of the stuff with some screenshots, however it’s best to show it off later with a video as well (which I still need to make)
      So first off all, the floor. In the previous post I mentioned it was a placeholder that I had so here is the floor tile which I am going to be using.

preview

Now as you can see, there is some elevation in the tile itself to have a bit more realism to it. Over time cobblestones tend to get “out of sync” with eachother. However this elevation can be removed incase it might become too much for people to load.

So now we got a floor, walls….. what does a dungeon need as well…. of course LIGHT. I know people sometimes complain about the world being too dark on some planets during night time. Seeing as I am thinking of keeping this dungeon always in nighttime it needs lights so you won’t get lost (even though it is supposed to be a maze). Torches sound great, however torches on an expensive looking marble wall….. no….. so a firebowl made more sense. Here is how it looks with the fire in it off course.

firebowl

The little lightbulb in it is the extra lighting effect that I gave to it. No worries, you will see the result soon :).
      So with all that we got basic components for our dungeon. So I made a little bit of the dungeon already to show off a little bit before I made the video to show how it kind of looks from a top down view.

Top down preview

As you can see there are 2 different types of light in there. One being a normal corridor with most likely creatures in it as well. The green one is a room with something special in it, be it a wave spawn or a mini boss room. I don’t know yet :). Going with the flow atm tbh.
      The main issue I had so far is working with scripts. I am not experienced in this at all, immediately heading into a project like this takes some effort to learn how to code things quickly but correctly. But I wanted to give people a preview of the dungeon a little bit as well, this meant making a “character” to run around with.
      Initially I thought this would be easy to do, just rig a “flying camera”. However, even though this did work more or less, it was also massively broken. The camera doesn’t give two shits about walls or floor or whatever. It flew right through stuff, which didn’t accurate show what was going on. In the preview I linked you can actually see (if you look closely) a small roundish thing, a capsule. This is the vessel which has been rigged to walk through the dungeon at this moment which is going to be used for the video.
      I hope somewhere today I can link the video below here.

So far it’s been fun and frustrating to work on this. Learning a lot from different perspectives, definatly the coding will require a lot more to get right or to do quickly.
      More updates soon. Also a bit of frustration was the Imgur didn’t work properly due to some issues with logging in. So I had to post the pictures like this.

Wzzls
      Waus

Video with the progress discussed in this post

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  Waus.
      • This reply was modified 10 months ago by  Waus.
      • This reply was modified 10 months ago by  Waus.
    • Waus Keymaster
      December 10, 2016 at 6:05 am #851

Progress so far…IT’S ALMOST DONE (04-02-2016)

So it’s been a month since the last update. Apologies for the updates coming so slow, I do have a lot of other things to do as well. However I did make some significant progress πŸ™‚

Last time I showed you guys how the dungeon stuff looks. I have to admit I was pretty happy about it thusfar. Some things didn’t really feel right though. For instance the fire felt…… off, from a distance it looked fine, from up close it didn’t. So I wanted to improve on this which I did (at least I think so). Have a look…

The nice thing about this is that it looks really good animated, it took some effort but you know….. effort pays off. The fire is also directly the light source, unlike with the other fire where the light source was just with the fire, here the fire is the light source. Several different particle systems make this happen, although 1 might be a bit 2 similar another, which means I could remove it. In anycase, when the fire flares up a bit due to embers, the light it will emit will flare up as well. Sadly enough, using the particle system caused 1 issue. There was a bug in Unity which made me able to play the scene I made, all be it laggy. However when turned into a game (or build) it would crash. This was because of the way the particle system was working and setup. Thankfully there was a way around it, however it’s not fully to my liking. But it’ll do πŸ˜€

So…. what else changed.

Well, obviously a dungeon isn’t complete without any type of gate. To kind of lock people in, or grant acces to certain areas. So I made some fences which are spread throughout the dungeon :). The texture on it atm is a bit… simple but I like it like this. I made a screenshot of the entry to the dungeon to give a good view of it.

As you can see in this picture it’s see through (it’s a fence so) and yes ingame it is animated to open and close. Atm there aren’t any other triggers except proximity but in a later stage that would change off course :). And yes, for those paying close attention, the maze has changed in it’s design which will be shown later.

So far everything looks great I think personally, the dungeon is getting along just fine. 1 thing which I am not fully happy about is the amount of processing power it takes to load it up. This is most likely due to the fact that both the floor and the walls aren’t flat. Seeing as the dungeon itself has close to 500 walls segments, over 100 columns and over 400 floor segments it kind of adds up. For that reason I do have to get more into the texturing side of it, so I can make those parts with a texture that makes it look like they are 3D but in essence they are flat.

Here is a picture of the overview of the dungeon the way it is now.

As you can see, it’s a lot bigger then it was :D.

As a preview and more an indepth view of the dungeon here is the video clip of the livestream regarding the dungeon. There is some lag in it I know, this is because of the dungeon itself atm. Also I had a bit of a cold so I might sound a bit odd (or sometimes I just plainly ramble saying stuff which don’t make sense). Regardless, enjoy and hope to see some feedback.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Waus.
    • Waus Keymaster
      December 10, 2016 at 6:05 am #852

Reserved

• Waus Keymaster
      January 4, 2017 at 6:04 pm #876

Reserved

• Waus Keymaster
      January 16, 2017 at 6:06 pm #888

Video has now been added to the update post πŸ™‚

• RUBEN Keymaster
      January 17, 2017 at 7:08 pm #890

Awsome.

I am curious how the thing continues.

Grafics Quality on the Walls and Floor is great. I bet the lag will decrease on later releases.
      The atmosphere of a night in the dungeon is already well done and impressive.
      Imagin to have some nice sounds with it makes me already goode pimples. and the hairs in my neck are set

uhhhhh πŸ˜€

• Drifter007 Participant
      January 28, 2017 at 1:16 pm #903

Hey Waus πŸ™‚ . Are you an official NI staff member and is this going into the game after your done? Just curious.

• Waus Keymaster
      January 29, 2017 at 4:06 pm #906

Hello Drifter,

No I am not official NI staff and I don’t know if this would ever be put in. I am just following up on a livestream which was done some time ago during a 24h event, where we talked about Next Island and dungeons :).

• Drifter007 Participant
      January 31, 2017 at 4:49 am #907

I see, was just curious. Pretty cool designs you got there by the way =)

• Waus Keymaster
      January 31, 2017 at 6:49 am #908

Well an update will come this week so stay tuned πŸ™‚

• Waus Keymaster
      February 4, 2017 at 11:33 am #932

Update done, was fun to do. Hope people are as excited about it as I am getting πŸ™‚

• Hanzulan Participant
      February 4, 2017 at 3:31 pm #933

Great job πŸ˜€

I would tho say that you went abit too far with an prototype. But you put your heart into it, and thats what counts.

So the dungeon would need to be in an instance i would say.
      Those instances could be setup like:

Level 1 Instance. Has lvl 1 mobs an mini-boss at lvl 2 with an lvl 3 boss
      Level 2 Instance. Has lvl 5 mobs an mini-boss at lvl 4 with an lvl 5 boss

and so on.

• Drifter007 Participant
      February 6, 2017 at 1:03 am #939

Nice work! Can’t wait to see the future progress πŸ™‚ . It definitely looks better than the maze on Cyrene. Hopefully NI can put this in one day, it would be epic.

• Pretto Loco Participant
      February 9, 2017 at 5:43 pm #965

Great work Waus. AG must be the best place ever for such additions.
      That reminds me so much of my many hours spent in Valve’s map editor Hammer.

Hope to see more streaming from you and doggy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.